Keeping Up with the Joneses

Saturday, March 11, 2006

More door trouble

Some of you may remember I wrote a post last August about it seems that all the doors in this house are cursed. Well, on Thursday I had the worst trouble yet.

The door in our bedroom has never latched. The doorknobs finally fell off a few months ago after being loose for a while. When we needed to get out, we would just stick a finger in the doorknob hole and pull. Let me repeat here that the door has NEVER actually latched. That fact is important to the rest of the story.

I was in our room on Thursday morning ironing some clothes and Chloe and Tucker were playing on the bed. Jed was occupied in the playroom. Tucker pushed the door shut, which he likes to do, and I didn't think anything more of it until he tried to pull it open a few minutes later. When it wouldn't budge, I went over and tried. It really wouldn't budge! That's when I realized we were stuck. I just had to shake my head, because this had already been a really hard week. I tried pulling out the hinge pins but only one of them came out. I tried various tools but nothing worked. Finally I asked Jed to call Alden. Thankfully, he knows how to use the phone now! Alden wasn't home, so I had Jed call Evan. Evan said he was on his way and would be home in half an hour.

Well, there was no way I was waiting half an hour with the kids getting antsy, and I hate for Evan to lose an hour-plus out of his day because his wife has locked herself in her bathroom. So I fell back on plan Z--use the fire escape ladder. We have one in our closet, so I hooked it up to the window and climbed out. As I climbed down (after I made sure no cars were going by!) I thought how good it was that there was a big bush below me to catch me if I fell. I made it down safely, then ran in the house, found the new doorknob that should have been installed months ago, and got the door open and let the little ones out. Chalk it up to a bad experience, great blog. :-)

5 Comments:

At 2:18 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Super Mom to the rescue! Great story.

 
At 4:25 PM , Blogger Mrs. RF said...

I agree - great story! Glad you made it out safely and that Jed could use the phone. At least it gave you good blog fodder.

 
At 5:50 PM , Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Chuckle!!! A story for your memoirs... 8~)

 
At 6:37 AM , Blogger the Joneses said...

I remember climbing down the front face of that house with a fire escape ladder. I was terrified at the time (I hate heights), and I'm not sure I could even do it now (I'm getting worse about heights as I get older).

Good for Jed calling Alden!

--DJ

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger Booker said...

Wow! at least no one drove by as you were climbing down :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home