Keeping Up with the Joneses

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

CLEPtomaniac

My modest little sister would never toot her own horn, so I'm going to toot it for her. I just got an e-mail from her tonight that she passed a CLEP test today in humanities. I believe that makes at least three tests that she's passed so far (3 for 3). Out of a possible score of 80 she got a 75! I'm pretty proud of her. If you're not familiar with how the CLEP tests work, with each test she passes she earns credit toward a degree without having to take college courses. It's all very complicated and I probably didn't explain it right, but Kristi can explain it much better.

Last evening was really special. Don and Betty Best, missionaries in the Amazon region, joined us for dinner and then gave a powerful presentation at the church about the work they're doing. What an incredible couple. They absolutely radiate the love of Jesus. Serving the Lord is their passion. They breezed in here with happy smiles and kind words--all genuine. Nothing phony or put-on about these people. Mr. Best won Jed's heart when he let Jed "shoot" a special native dart gun. He also told Jed about some of the horrific animals they have down there. I asked him myself if they had lots of spiders. He said yes, but they don't really bother them much. He'd only gotten bitten twice in the three years they've been there. My goodness, I'd say that was kind of invading my personal space!

Darren, Evan's brother, was also with us last evening. He flew up yesterday afternoon for a hearing he had to speak at in Concord, so we got to enjoy the pleasure of his company last night and this morning. Speaking of this morning, I totally got spoiled. Usually the kids come in a wake me up in the morning. I haven't used an alarm clock in years; in fact, I don't even have a clock on my side of the bed. I would, except there isn't an outlet close enough to my nightstand. Anyway, the kids never came in to wake me up, Tucker never hollered for me, and I was dead tired after a busy day yesterday, so I kept on sleeping--till 9:00! I woke up to hear the kids playing happily with their beloved Uncle Darren in the playroom. He had gotten Tucker up and was busily entertaining all three kids. What a great guy. I tell you, the Jones guys are one-of-a-kind. I'm sorry there aren't more of them for some of my single friends.

Could someone please tell me how a mother is supposed to maintain her sanity when from the time she gets up in the morning till the kids' blessed bedtime she is either changing a stinky diaper, wiping up spilled juice, sweeping crumbs off the floor, pulling a 14-month-old off the table, answering a 5-year-old's question, answering the phone, comforting a 2-year-old who's just bumped her head on the table, keeping the 2 and 5-year-olds from killing each other, pulling the 14-month-old out of the snack cupboard . . . and some of this ALL AT THE SAME TIME WITH NO BREAK?!?! Maybe the insanity part is already a foregone conclusion, but at least tell me how you do all these things and still remain a calm, patient, sweet little mother who never hollers at her little darlings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home