Keeping Up with the Joneses

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Donut Day

Happy Saturday, dear friends! I can't believe it's been two and a half weeks since I last posted. Life has been SO BUSY! My word. I told Evan last night that it's sad how little time I have to read now, my favorite leisure activity. Oh, well. Someday there will be plenty of time for reading again, and then I'll be missing the noise and interruptions. . . Nah! No, seriously, I probably will miss having little ones around someday. Right now a little peace and quiet sounds heavenly. Actually, that's what I'm getting right now! Evan and Lindsay have taken the kids for their weekly trek to Dunkin Donuts. As soon as I'm done blogging I'm going to hop back in bed and make the most of this time by sleeping!

Today is the first sunny day we've had in who knows how long. It's one of those gorgeous crisp fall days. We're going to Sears this afternoon to get our family portrait done. If you're on our Christmas card list we'll be sending you one! And if you think to tuck in a prayer for us today, please do. Chloe and Tucker are hard to get pictures of these days, being the little strong-minded wiggleworms that they are.

This past Thursday night I started a Bible study for mothers of young children that we're going to have every other week. It was a raving success, judging from the comments of some of the moms afterwards. We have a plethora of young families in our church, with moms who are, typically, giving out more than they're getting back. I wanted to have a time when they can get out for a few hours to talk and laugh and cry and be fed by God's Word. Alison Sandford was our "speaker"--and let me just say it was obvious God had prepared her to bring us a message from Him. She has had a burden for mentoring young moms for a long time but because of the needs of her family has not been able to make it happen. She is excited that it's finally happening, and we ladies are all thrilled to be able to sit at her feet, so to speak, and drink in her wisdom. Several things she said the other night really ministered to me. For instance, many moms are not in a place in life where they can spend an hour in Bible reading and prayer as they'd dearly love to, but Alison encouraged us that God doesn't hold that against us and that we can be constantly talking with Him throughout the day--as we wash the dishes, nurse the baby, any time and every time we feel a burden on our hearts. This has given me tremendous freedom! Ruth Bell Graham calls it "praying on the hoof." What a loving God we serve! He understands our infirmities!

Let's see, what else has been happening. Oh! How could I forget! Last night we went to see Lindsay's play. It was fabulous! If any of you reading this are going tonight, be prepared to laugh your head off. Lindsay is an absolute hoot, especially as the mentally handicapped woman Clara. I laughed so hard I cried, and afterward she said she could hear us laughing in the audience and had a hard time not laughing herself. Boy, it's going to be extra hard tonight to control herself with all her "gang" coming to see her.

6 Comments:

At 8:10 AM , Blogger maldrich said...

WHooooohoooO! Hooray for moments without children!!!! I hope your time this morning was marvelous! I am also enjoying a break this morning!

And your Bible Study sounds exciting...perhaps I can talk Brandon into letting me come sometime, that would be awesome....

We are hoping to see the play this evening, so it was encouraging to know that it was so funny...Of course, Lindsay's in it, so it should be good!

 
At 9:20 AM , Blogger Jill said...

Mary, I would love it if you could come to the Bible study! It would be so great to have you. We'll be holding the next one on Thursday, November 10, at 7:30, again at our house. After that we're not sure what the next date will be, since Thanksgiving falls on the day we'd normally do it. I'll keep you posted!

Have fun tonight!

 
At 4:15 AM , Blogger Booker said...

The play was indeed cool! See you all at church :)

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger Loreo said...

Wish I could see that play! Jill, I'm sure glad God doesn't hold it against me that my communion with him is usually scattered throughout the day rather than concentrated at the break of day! Phew!!

 
At 2:24 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Hooray, a new post! That's great that you're able to reach out to moms right now.

 
At 4:14 PM , Blogger Linds said...

And then there was the time you updated your blog. I know I live next door, but I like reading it here too :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home