Keeping Up with the Joneses

Sunday, November 20, 2005

The meaning of love

Several days ago I was working at the computer when Jed came up to me and said, "What does 'I love you' mean?" Now I knew he wasn't asking me that because he'd just heard it for the first time and had no clue as to its meaning. We say it a million times a day to each other in our house, so it's a phrase he's very familiar with. But his little five-year-old brain is intensely curious about many things, and he's often asking questions--which is fabulous, but just a tad draining when it's ALL DAY LONG!

Well, when he asked me what "I love you" means, I sensed a special teachable moment. So I stopped what I was doing and gave him my undivided attention (which he doesn't always get when he asks a question, otherwise Mommy would go insane and never get anything accomplished...but I digress). I said something like, "It means I think you're special and you're a gift from God and I'm so glad you came to live with us." I remember that I said more but can't recall exactly what. His response was "Oh!" A second later, "I love you, Mommy!" Awwwww! My heart melted and I pulled him into a big hug. It's moments like this that keep a mom going on the hard days. :-)

7 Comments:

At 10:32 AM , Blogger Loreo said...

Yay for the guileless love of little children!

 
At 12:51 PM , Blogger Booker said...

Now that is cute!

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger the Joneses said...

Jed is such a sweetheart! I love him!

-- SJ

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger CKS said...

He IS a sweetheart...must be the Abram side coming out. :-)

 
At 2:02 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Aww, how sweet! Craig, I was going to say what a nice thing for you to say, then I remembered there's just a little bias on your part! AND there are some sweethearts in the Jones clan.

 
At 3:59 PM , Blogger Booker said...

Awww, Kristi, you're too kind!! *blush* but thanks, lol...

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Heh heh, I had several female Jones members in mind! Sorry to burst your bubble. :-D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home