Keeping Up with the Joneses

Monday, May 08, 2006

Never a dull moment

Life is never dull or predictable when you have kids. Today has proved that. The morning went fairly normally, though it did seem like the kids wanted to argue and negotiate about everything. That's not terribly unusual around here, though. Chloe and Jed are very strong-minded, strong-willed little individuals. Their phlegmatic mother has had to develop some spine to try to maintain some sense of control. :-)

Anyway, the excitement started this afternoon when I discovered a vile tick behind Tucker's left ear. Not having grown up with those nasty creatures in the West, I wasn't sure what to do with it. I tried removing it with tweezers, but its head was already embedded. Rubbing alcohol didn't seem to loosen it, so I put in a call to the doctor's office. They assured me the nurse would call back.

A little while later as I was visiting with someone I'd just met, whose visit turned out to be somewhat more demanding on my time and energy than I anticipated, I began to get suspicious about how quiet Chloe and Tucker were being, so I ran out front. There to my horror I discovered that Chloe had defecated on the driveway in front of the steps. Not only that, but she and Tucker were dancing in it and wiping it on each other! ARGH!!! This marks the third time she has done this in the past week, though never actually wallowing in it. She knows perfectly well how to relieve herself in the toilet, so I have no idea why she insists on continuing this nasty habit. After spraying her down with a cold hose and revoking her outdoor privileges for the rest of the day, I'm hoping I got through to her that going stink on the driveway is not socially acceptable behavior.

Thankfully Evan had come home a little early and was able to take care of the driveway. I will never understand the toddler psyche. Of course our middle-aged male neighbor had to be walking by our house as this drama was unfolding--Chloe there half naked dancing in her dung while I nearly holler in exasperation: "Chloe, why do you do it?!" Who knows what he thinks of the pastor's family! (He doesn't go to our church so he doesn't know us well and could be forming all sorts of opinions about our family.) Cherilyn and her kids came by a minute later just to say hi after getting their mail. Dear Cherilyn said, "You poor thing!" and that was extremely comforting! At least I know she's been there--if not with a situation like this, at least other situations where her kids have done wild and crazy things that don't mean you're a bad mom. :-)

Well, I got the kiddos washed up, all the while lecturing Chloe on the purpose of indoor plumbing (waste of time, I'm sure). She did say several times that she knows now to do it in the house. We'll see.

The nurse called back and told me what to do. So, Tucker's tick-less, thank God. I didn't even want to pick up the poor child, that thing grossed me out so much. We'll keep an eye out for signs of Lyme's disease, but I'm not worried.

For now things are under control. Maybe with only two more hours till bedtime we'll be able to escape more escapades. . . .

9 Comments:

At 6:43 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Oh, my word, you poor dear!! Where does Chloe get these ideas?! Well, she'll outgrow some things soon, right? :-D

 
At 5:03 AM , Blogger Mrs. RF said...

You have my sympathies! The joys of motherhood! Sending lots of love and prayers your way. Ah, but what treasures they are.

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger ljm said...

Uggh...so sorry Jill! Things just seem to happen all at the wrong time...so awful but it also made me laugh.

 
At 12:25 PM , Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Cowpoke sez: Ain't bein' a Mom just real fun some days??!!

Ol' 'Lanche wants ta know what the difference is between a vile tick and a regular one... 8~)

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Loreo said...

That is a REALLY AWFUL DAY. Ticks and dung dancing all in one day is just too much, it really is. Chloe had better bring you a nice Mother's Day breakfast in bed, huh?!

 
At 2:41 PM , Blogger Booker said...

My goodness. :-)

and thanks for letting me root thru the garbage the other nite...

 
At 7:33 AM , Blogger Claire said...

Wow, I'm sure it was exasperating but it made for a great and hilarious tale!

And I was thinking along the same lines as Lori, apparently. Chloe owes you BIG TIME in the way of Mother's Day gifts...for the rest of your life!

 
At 11:22 AM , Blogger the Joneses said...

Addie used to remove her dirty diapers every day during Quiet Play. I still remember going in to check on her, wondering what it was all over her, and realizing... ugh. It was even in her hair. Nice touch about the neighbor going by, though. At least my crisis was in private. :)

Chloe, just in general, makes me laugh very hard.

-- SJ

 
At 6:54 PM , Blogger KMS said...

Glad you realize that lecturing Chloe on the uses of indoor plumbing was a "waste" of time. Poor Jill.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home