Keeping Up with the Joneses

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Today Jed and I saw the Superman emblem on something and I brought up the idea of Supermom. He said, "I woudn't say you were so much Supermom as Tired Mom." Well, I'd be the last person to call myself Supermom, but it was humbling to hear my precious son point out his observation of my energy level these days. He can be brutally honest but at least he's very sweet!

While we were out running errands today Chloe said, "When I don't have money I'm sad for money." I don't know where her fascination with money came from. Maybe it's from seeing Jed get paid for doing his chores or finding it fun to play with change. Whatever it is, she has said some pretty funny things about it lately.

We have had the worst luck with vacuum cleaners. In 7 1/2 years of marriage we've been through three. Of course we've always gotten (almost) the cheapest one at Wal-Mart or Best Buy. When our last one died recently, Evan went out and bought me an Oreck! He won major husband points with that move. :-) He got a fabulous deal on a machine that vacuums like a dream, is lightweight, and doesn't put your back out when you're pushing it. I think we've learned our lesson that sometimes it's worthwhile to pay a little extra to get something that's going to last more than one or two years. So maybe someday we can afford to buy a stereo to replace the cheap one we got at Wal-Mart only 15 months ago that recently quit working.

8 Comments:

At 5:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm sad for money"... great quote! I think I'll have to start using it all the time. :) I have noticed that Wal-mart's vacuum cleaners do seem a bit on the cheap side, except maybe the Dysons they have. We went the other direction when we got our vacuum: a Kenmore that is lasting forever but weighs about thirty-seven metric tons. An Oreck sounds like a happy medium.

(Actually, as I have grown older the Kenmore's weight has decreased linearly, but it's still relatively bulky and hefty. :)

 
At 8:53 AM , Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

Wynne has a fascination with loose change lately. She carrys it around in a plastic easter egg that breaks open at the most inopportune moments! Arrgh! (and there is always a kitty involved, somehow!)

Happy vacuuming...always wanted an Oreck! Good for you, Jill! (and good thinking, Evan!)

 
At 11:31 AM , Blogger the Joneses said...

We're slowly learning the "pay more and get more use out of it" lesson, too. But, like Chloe, when I have to spend a lot of money at once, I get sad for money.

Hey, at least Jed notices that you're tired. That's a good foundation to build on! Keep plugging; things will change... it's been nice to have energy since Daphne arrived.

-- SJ

 
At 5:00 PM , Blogger shannon said...

I used to dream of owning a sleek and glamourous vacuum cleaner, but thanks to having a contractor as a father all we've ever known is a shop-vac-such a beast and very dependable. Although, it was difficult to carry up the stairs when I was younger.

Also, your blog and your children amuse me much.

 
At 6:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejoicing with you on your new vac!

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger Loreo said...

Our vacuum cleaner seems to clog and not work if you look at it cross-eyed. It irks me, but because we just have 2 large area rugs in the kids' rooms, I often have them use the trusty, bulky shop-vac! You should give us an update on the Oreck in a year.

 
At 1:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) Good vacuums are expensive. Sadly...

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger KMS said...

I got a good laugh out of the "tired mom" comment. You have good reason. You're pretty amazing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home