Keeping Up with the Joneses

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Home sweet home!




So we are finally settled in and I finally have a quiet Saturday when we don't have to be cleaning the old house. It feels good to sit down and update my blog, something I haven't had a spare minute for in too long. We absolutely love our new house. Here are some reasons why:
1. The gas fireplace you can turn on with the flick of a switch. I think of all of us Tucker enjoys this feature the most.
2. The cleanness and newness of everything!
3. Our neighborhood. It's not easy to find a neighborhood as friendly as the one we left behind, but so far our neighbors here in Patch Hill have proven to be very friendly. There's a family across the street with two boys Jack and Tucker's ages. The mom is a stay-at-home mom who has invited me to go on evening walks with her. She and another neighbor have brought goodies by for us, and another neighbor has snow-blown our driveway a few times out of the goodness of his heart. How rare is that, here in staid ol' New England!
4. Proximity to stores, bank, and library. No more having to drive at least 12 minutes to get to anything useful!
5. Being able to decorate however I want.
6. The master suite! We call it our sanctuary. It has its own bathroom and a walk-in closet--sheer luxury! We have made it a toy-free zone too. And there are no bath toys in our tub to trip on either!
There are lots of other happy perks, as well as things we need to get used to and change, like adding overhead lighting in the living room. (It's lovely having my own resident electrician. :-) ) We plan to finish our basement within the next year or two, making it into a great room and extra bedroom, which will double as a guestroom. The boys' room is pretty crowded with the bunk bed and crib. Makes me appreciate all the space we had at the old house. But until it can be finished the kids can still play down there and there's lots of room for storage.
The kids have been adjusting well to the change and love it here. We got back into homeschooling a week after we moved in, and I've been super busy getting the house settled and doing editing and proofreading. Back in December I proofread a book called The Quilt of Life full of inspirational stories associated with quilting. It was a really sweet book that rekindled my interest in quilting. So I went online to see what I could find for beginners. That led me to a site that has a block of the month kit that's great for beginners. They provide the pre-cut pieces and directions and you put it together. It came in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to get started!

5 Comments:

At 8:08 AM , Blogger Susan Elizabeth said...

Seeing all that you described firsthand was so much fun! (I came home and drew a floor plan to show Paul and Melody)
Of course, all those white walls are a blank canvas in my mind! I would be getting my paint samples lined up! (but the white is so very fresh and clean looking!)
I am so happy for you Jill! You can make all new memories in your own house. (The house that the kids will most likely remember when they grow up!)

p.s. can't wait to see it at Christmastime!

 
At 12:58 PM , Blogger the Joneses said...

I'm so glad the neighbors have turned out to welcome you! I hope the neighborhood is a blessing. In fact, that's what I prayed as we were driving out of it at Christmas. :)

-- SJ

 
At 12:04 AM , Blogger kw said...

i'm thinking of taking a quilting class here..what fun!

 
At 9:41 AM , Blogger The Boisverts said...

What a blessing this season of life has been for you and Evan. I am so happy for you all... makes me think of the scripture that says He gives abundantly more than we could ever even ask for or imagine!
Hooray!!
PS: thanks for having us over; it was nice to chat a bit and to let the boys (and girl) :-) be goofy and fun with one another. I love your house and love that you will have so many memories built into those walls as the years go by.
Rejoicing with you!

 
At 3:34 AM , Blogger Lori said...

Groovy, dear! Glad to hear the update and see pics! Happy for you! :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home