Keeping Up with the Joneses

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Expressive phrases

I'm in the middle of proofreading a collection of three novels about a hillbilly woman from Kentucky who is a midwife and "healer" back in the 1870s. It's a fascinating story, one of the few fluffy romance novels I've done for this company that isn't too treacly. The author has a good grasp of the hillbilly's "language," and there are some pretty funny lines. My favorite, though, is one that I latched onto as soon as I saw it and laughed my head off over it. It's very satisfying to roll off your tongue. I drove Lindsay nuts with it last weekend when I kept saying it over and over. The midwife used this phrase to describe how a woman felt right after giving birth. The phrase is "catawamptiously chewed up." Isn't that hilarious?

Along about the first week of January, I'm going to be feeling pretty catawamptiously chewed up meself for the same reason as the woman in the book. Yep, number four is on the way! We're very excited, and the kids are ecstatic. Jed has his heart set on having a sister so we can have our own set of Pevensies (boy, girl, boy, girl) from Chronicles of Narnia. But he's okay with a boy too because that would mean another playmate to fight battles with. :-)

11 Comments:

At 5:21 AM , Blogger ljm said...

Wow!!!Congratulations! That's exciting news.
I think it was Claire's first grade teacher(correct me if I'm wrong, Claire) who used to say cattywampus about things--that's how it sounded anyway. Love that word.

 
At 5:53 AM , Blogger the Joneses said...

Congratulations! It's getting harder to Keep Up with the NH Joneses, but we'll keep trying...

-- SJ

 
At 6:05 AM , Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

Yay for number four!!! 8~) Hope the event ain't gonna leave ya' too catawamptiously chewed up like... ...chuckle!!! 8~D

 
At 9:51 AM , Blogger Mrs. RF said...

Congrats! Blessings on you all! We rejoice with you.

 
At 3:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hurray! Actually, (not to sound smug or anything) my mom already talked to you before you blogged this post, so I already knew. ;D Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!
can't wait to help you out and everything! (I hope it's a girl, myself.)

 
At 7:56 AM , Blogger Kristi said...

That's a descriptive phrase, alright!
I hope you have another girl, and a very phlegmatic one. :-) But whatever you have will be wonderful!

"Children are a blessing from the Lord."

 
At 6:57 PM , Blogger Aaron said...

Congratulations!!!!

 
At 1:43 AM , Blogger lis said...

Hooray!

I love Jed's reason for wishing for another sister.

More hooray!

:O)

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger Booker said...

congrats! :-)

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger Cara said...

My mom and I guessed. CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you guys, and I can't wait to see what you name it. :)

 
At 4:21 PM , Blogger CKS said...

So happy for you guys, Jill! One more Jones to love--what could be better?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home